All About Me
After years spent doing administrative work and field spares analysis (whatever that is), I found my true calling one day after accepting an internship at Texas Monthly magazine. I was officially hired on soon after and remained on staff for nearly a decade, working my way up from editorial assistant to assistant editor. From there I moved to American Way, the inflight magazine of American Airlines, where as a senior-level editor I assigned, edited, and wrote all variety of stories, including the travel features and celebrity cover profile. I was with American Way for nine years, and while the work was great, one of my favorite parts of the job was the free flight benefits! I freelanced for several years after that before becoming the editor of a bimonthly travel magazine called Group Travel Planet. During the almost two years I served as editor, the magazine won several national awards, including most improved magazine. Today I’m freelancing full-time again, working away in my home office or on my sunny screened porch, crafting and retooling copy for a stable of clients big and small.
YOU MAY HAVE SEEN MY WORK IN:
My writing has appeared in dozens of publications, including the inflight magazines for Delta and Southwest airlines; the in-room magazines for Hilton, Omni, and Loews hotels; and major sites like CNN.com, WomansDay.com, and HGTV.com. I am a contributing editor at SUCCESS magazine and a contributing writer at Simply Buckhead magazine. Other clients include custom publishers, Fortune 500 companies, top-ranked universities, and national PR firms. And while I write about everything under the sun, lifestyle and travel topics are my specialty. I’m particularly obsessed with hotels and will soon be launching a website on the subject at FourStarStays.com. I am also a sought-after editor, proofreader, and copy editor, contracted for work by everyone from individual authors to major corporations.
• American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA)
• International Travel Writers Alliance
• Most Improved Magazine, Association for Women in Communications, 2008
• Silver Award, Publication Redesign, American Society of Business Publication Editors, 2008
• Bronze Award, Overall Headline Writing, American Society of Business Publication Editors, 2008
• Personal Profile/Interview, Katie Awards/Press Club of Dallas, 2004
• Best Short News Article, CTO Worldwide Travel Writer/Photographer Awards, 2003
• Personal Profile/Interview, Katie Awards/Press Club of Dallas, 2000
For a copy of my résumé, click here.